A New (Old) Craft Gets Under Way

As I was walking my three-mile route yesterday, I got to thinking about doing some knitting again. We travel in our RV in the summer and I can be a bit of a backseat driver if I don’t watch myself. So I was trying to think of something I could do and still be able to enjoy the ride. Knitting came to mind.

I remembered that my sister had made scarves for Special Olympics last year. That type of project seemed like just the ticket – something that was easy and wouldn’t require too much of my time.  So I did some research when I got home and then wrote my sister for HELP!

I haven’t done any knitting in at least 30 years! So I went looking for help in casting on and other such important thing. Then I picked a couple of (hopefully) easy patterns from the Scarves for Special Olympics site. I made a shopping list and planned to have everything I needed by now.

We went to Wal-Mart which indeed stocks Red Heart yarns. They even had a few colors in the Soft Yarn… but not the two colors I need for this project! Luckily, I was planning a trip to Michael’s anyway. They had the Soft Yarn, but only the navy, not the red! (Insert frustrated expletive here.) I went ahead and bought one skein of the navy in hopes of finding the red soon. I guess I’ll have to plan a stop at JoAnn Fabrics this week.

I had visions of posting a picture of all my new knitting stash and it would be something t0 be proud of. It’s not what I’d hoped, but here’s what I’ve got so far.

IMG_0777

All the patterns I found at Special Olympics were done on needles of size 8, 9 or 10. So when I saw this multi-pack with those sizes in it at Wal-Mart, I grabbed it. And here’s my one, lonely skein of yarn.

Hey, it’s a start, right!?!? I may have to modify a pattern until I get the red yarn, maybe half-and-half instead of stripes. We’ll see.

I’ll keep you posted. I’m excited about this project.

Happy crafting!

0 comments:

Copyright @ Crafty DJ | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger